Tuesday 4 February 2014

My 1st Trimester Tips

As a first time mum to be I found the 1st trimester pretty difficult. As well as getting used to the fact that you are going to be a parent, your body is going through a mountain of changes. For me the main ones were feeling exhausted, emotional, nauseous, and I found that my body was changing rapidly. My breasts grew immediately and felt so painful and my stomach felt so bloated which is something I'm not normally used to. These changes are hard because although you are so excited about becoming a mum you just do not feel like yourself. Plus the added pressure of not being able to tell anyone why you are feeling so out of sorts (I found this particularly hard at the work place).

So I thought I would do a little list of things that I did to help myself feel better and hopefully they will help anyone else going through the same situation who reads this.

Invest in some new bras - like I mentioned before my boobs grew fast and were super painful. They hurt so much they actually prevented me from having a good nights sleep! (not great when you are already exhausted). The moment I felt relief and felt better about myself was when I went to get a better fitting bra, one that supported me better and that I wasn't spilling out of. As someone who has never worn a bra at night time, I found that wearing a soft non wired one to bed really helped with my sleep and stopped them swinging around too much  when I'd be tossing and turning at night.

Treat yourself to some new makeup - this has also really helped to make me feel better. Quite early on I haven't felt great about my changing body, which I mainly put down to the lack of control I have over it now. Working in fashion and feeling like non of my clothes look good on me anymore has given my confidence a bit of a hit. Paying a bit more attention to my makeup routine has given me that extra boost and allowed me to fake that pregnancy glow even though I haven't got to that stage yet. Below are some of the products I have been using.

Posie Tint - Benefit
Perfection Lumiere - Chanel
Copacabana Illuminator - Nars
Skinny Felt tip Liquid Eyeliner - Eyeko
Mineralise Concealer - Mac
They're Real Mascara - Benefit

Take time out for yourself - if you are feeling exhausted then probably like me, you find that those pesky hormones effect you most of all when you're tired. Que emotional breakdown in front of work colleagues nightmare! Don't feel guilty about spending your day off in bed or cancelling that meeting with friends for drinks (it's not quite the same without the alcohol). Have a warm bath, put on some fresh pjs and curl up on the sofa with a blanket and movie. Pamper yourself and get your nails did and a foot massage. It's hard work creating another life even at these early stages.

Tell someone you trust about your pregnancy - I am lucky enough to have an amazing Mum who I of course told immediately, and she has been super supportive. I give a her a ring whenever I need someone to talk to and she always calms me down and makes me feel better. I also found it really important to have someone to talk to at work as this was what I found most difficult feeling tired and emotional all the time and trying to supervise my team. Everyone was wondering what was wrong with me and it was nice to have a work colleague I trusted to get things off my chest. I also felt a weight was lifted off my shoulders the day I told my Manager, it actually solved a lot of my problems and I started to enjoy my pregnancy more even though it was still a secret.

Download some pregnancy apps - this was one of the first things I did when I found out I was pregnant. I pretty much just picked the first ones I found but they worked for me. Download some different ones to see which you prefer. I use...

Pregnancy by Health & Parenting - tells you how far along you are and gives you tips every day. It shows you how your baby is growing each week and the changes you will notice in your body. It also has a section on foods you can and cannot eat and allows you to track your weight. I loved making lists with the baby names they have.

Pregnancy by Babycentre - Similar idea, however they have links back to their website for info and videos of how your baby is growing. It also has a chat room for you to connect with other mums.

Carry some healthy snacks with you - depending on whether you are suffering from extreme morning sickness or not, you will know what makes you want to heave and what you can stomach. I have been fairly lucky and only suffered mild nausea now and again. I have really been craving fruit so found it useful and easy to carry some around with me for when I'm at work or just out and about. Once you discover what little healthy snacks you like make sure you carry some with you.

Anyway, these are just some of the things that have helped to get me through. I'm still waiting to get my energy back though!

If you have any tips for dealing with pregnancy at any stage please let me know - I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment