Sunday 16 March 2014

"Working" or "Stay at Home" Mum?


When my good client and friend called me at the store near the beginning of the week to say she wanted me to call in a load of pieces for her to try on I was super happy.  She is absolutely lovely, and the last time I saw her was about about a year ago when she was nearing the end of her pregnancy and waiting to give birth to a baby girl. 

As she is a successful fashion journalist and therefore working mother, I couldn't wait to find out how she was doing and also pick her brain about the subject of having a career and bringing up children at the same time.

The question has been put to me often recently,  will I return to work when my maternity leave finishes? 

My answer? I have no idea. I think the question I find me asking myself more is will I return to my current job? 

I know there is a hell of a lot more I would love to do with my career but I've been feeling a little stuck in the past year. Right now I see having a child as the perfect opportunity to take some time out and  decide what the next step should be. My ideal situation would be to have my own business so I can still spend time with my child as I need to, and earn money doing something I love.

After talking to my client this is what I learned. She admits that she is a major workaholic, example...she just did 26 days in a row for Fashion Week travelling from London to New York to Paris! She obviously missed her girls terribly but she also see's it as important that she still holds true to who she is. Thankfully Fashion Week only happens twice a year and the rest of the time she is home by six and manages to get some time in with her girls before bedtime and then obviously the weekends.

She said even after just 9 months at home with a baby, when you go back to work it is scary and you can really lack confidence. She advised me that even if I go back and do just 2 days a week it will be worth it for my own self esteem. This I have to agree with. 

I really can't tell how I am going to feel this time next year, but at the moment I think I will definitely go back part time. I already love what I do but I am thinking after 6 months at home I will do a short further training course in an area that I love that might allow me to start my own business on the side while I do my current job 2 days a week. Whatever I do though will be what is best for me and of course best for my child. 

At the moment I can't even decide how early I should leave work! Being in retail and on my feet all day running up and down stairs collecting garments for clients is harder than imagined, and I reckon it will only be made harder carrying a big bump around in the summer months.

If you worked in retail how early did you take your maternity leave?
How do you feel about returning to work?
As a mother, how do you feel about leaving your child in other peoples care while you work?

I would love to hear your comments and advice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment